Have you encountered the Error 1618 on QuickBooks? This error appears at the time of installing the software. Follow this guide to learn how to fix the error:
What is QuickBooks Error 1618?
When you see the following message displayed on the screen, you are experiencing Error 1618”
“There is a problem to install the Microsoft Runtime Library Error 1618 “Install_Already_Running”
Usually, this error appears more than once when the Windows Installer is running. You are unable to continue the process of installation.
You cannot install QuickBooks without the Windows Installer. It helps install, update, uninstall and repair QuickBooks.
What Causes The Error?
Wondering why this error occurs? Here are possible causes:
- The installation file is incomplete or corrupted
- The Windows registry is corrupted
- The program file is deleted
How to Fix the Error 1618?
Now let’s move to the real deal “how to fix QuickBooks error 1618.”
Option 1: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
You can fix the error by downloading and installing the diagnostic tool. Here are the steps:
- Download the QuickBooks tool tub file. Make sure you save it at a location where it’s easy to access.
- Locate the .exe file, open it and follow the prompts for installation
- When the installation is complete, launch the tool
- Choose installation issues >> QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Let it run till error 1618 is repaired.
Option 2: Look For Msiexec.Exe in the Background
- Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete together to open task manager
- Choose the processes tab and look for “MSIEXEC.EXE”
- Select it and click the end process button
- Confirm the action by clicking Yes
- Now close the window and start the installation of QuickBooks again
Option 3: Create a Backup of the Windows Registry
Another method of fixing the error 1618 is to create a backup of the Windows Registry. Follow these steps to get started:
- Click the Start menu and open Run, and write “Regedit”
- Go to My Computer, from the File menu, open Export
- From Export, choose “All Option”
- Save Windows Registry Backup on desktop. As the backup is complete, delete the keys
- Doing that will delete all subkeys
This should fix the error. Install QuickBooks again.
Option 4: Update Windows Installer
Last but not least, you can also fix the QuickBooks Error by updating the version of the windows installer. Here is how it’s done:
- Log into your PC as Administrator
- Check if Windows Installer is updated.
- If not, go to my computer and open C:\WINDOWS\system32
- Right-click on its .exe file, go to properties and then pick a version.
- This will give you information about the version of the windows installer.
- Update it to the latest version, reboot your computer and this should fix the error.
Option 5: Reinstall Runtime Library
For this option, it is advised to consult your PC manufacturer or windows expert. Here are the steps to follow:
- Download the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package on your desktop
- Re-create it as .exe and follow the instructions provided
- Now, restart your computer and install QuickBooks again.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618
It’s good to be aware of the symptoms to address the problem before it gets worse, right? Here are common symptoms that indicate you are about to experience the QuickBooks error 1618:
- Your computer crashes often
- Windows is running slowly
- Your PC stops for a few seconds
All these symptoms are an indication that the Windows Installer is not functioning properly and hence, you are about to encounter an error while installing QuickBooks.
Next time you encounter a technical glitch like this, you know what to do. Pick any of the solutions discussed above. If one doesn’t work, try a different solution and that should be able to fix the problem.
Once the error goes away and you are able to successfully install QuickBooks, you can start using this accounting software to track expenses, manage cash flows, and create invoices. It is highly intuitive and very easy to use. Once you get a hang of how QuickBooks works and start using it for managing your accounting needs for business, you would never want to go back!