Children are the future of our world and so it is important to take care of their physical as well as mental health. Ignoring mental health of children can lead to abnormalities in their development which affect their future lives as well. A healthy child is the one who is not only physically stable but also mentally. Perfect children’s mental health helps to develop into strong and resilient beings capable of coping with all hurdles that might come in their way.
Importance of Children’s Mental Health
Parents often fail to understand the mental issues facing their children. This is why most of those children do not get adequate treatment to come out of their mental issues. It is important for parents to understand the importance of mental health and ways of helping their children cope with their mental issues. Parents must have a strong bond with their kids so that kids feel comfortable talking to their parents about their mental health issues. Parents also need to identify the symptoms of mental issues displayed by kids in their everyday routine and habits.
Sometimes kids disguise their mental issues as introversion making it hard for people to figure out the real reason behind their aloofness. Friends and classmates also have an important role to play in a child’s mental health because they spend a lot of time together. The behavior of peers affects the mental health of children at a very early age and becomes a part of their personality. To sum up, a child’s mental health is shaped by his surrounding for the most part.
What are the Factors Driving Kids Mental Health?
Once it is understood that the emotional well-being of a child is just as important as his physical health, there are many ways to improving mental health. Some of the factors which drive a good mental health of kids include:
- Being a part of a well-bonded and happy family
- Being close to parents and siblings with a bond of mutual trust
- Having physical strength through proper diet and exercise
- Going to a school with kids’ counseling facilities
- Having trusted and supporting friends
- Taking an active part in school and local activities
- Feeling trusted, loved, safe, valued and understood
- Having a sense of responsibility and control over one’s life
- Being optimistic and hopeful
- Getting opportunities for enjoying life
- Being recognized for one’s true potential and abilities etc.
These are some of the fulfilling conditions to ensure proper mental development of a child to protect him from being prone to mental issues.
What are the indicators of Mental Issues in Kids?
If one is observant enough they can clearly see some symptoms or indicators of mental health issues in kids. These indicators might be obvious or hidden, but there is always some pattern to figure them out in the changed behavior of kids. Indicators that a child might be having a mental health issue include:
- Rapid mood changes
- Changes in behavior such as frustration, aggression, and anxiety
- Substance abuse e.g. drugs, alcohol, etc.
- Physical self-harm such as cutting or burning oneself to cause self-injury
- Physical weakness such as tiredness, headaches, stomachaches, etc.
- Eating disorders leading to sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Lack of motivation due to difficulty in concentrating
- Loss of interest in routine matters and aloofness
After-effects of Mental Issues during Early Ages of Kids:
Mental issues might attack kids at an early age but their effects can be seen throughout their life as a part of their permanent personality, if not dealt at the right time. It is hard to stress upon the fact that kid who does not get proper treatment at the right time grow up to be mentally unstable and incapable of coping with stressful conditions of life. Their mental issues affect their development as a person and hence they often fail to succeed in life.
Children with mental issues often experience generalized anxiety disorder or in worse cases post-traumatic stress disorder. Such children become a threat not only to themselves but to the people around them as well. This is why parents must identify the earliest symptoms of bad children’s mental health and treat them at the earliest hour.
What are the Best Healthy Habits for Kids?
Children are often unable to identify what is right for them and what is not. So it is the duty of parents to choose healthy habits for their kids and make sure they follow them. Some of the most important healthy habits that every kid needs to adopt for a healthy mind include:
- Early to bed and early to rise
- Eating healthy and avoiding junk
- Actively enjoying physical activities in school and at home
- Having a positive approach to life
- Doing your chores on your own
- Enjoying leisure time with family
- Helping others
- Being grateful for whatever you have
- Showing empathy towards others
- Communicating with parents and trusting them
Parents need to make a trusting and strong bond with their kid to make them believe in whatever they say in right for them. Healthy habits are often fun to adopt but parents must adopt the right way to introduce them to their kids. Once they develop these habits it is easy for parents to witness the positive changes in the mental state of their kids due to these healthy habits. For more information on healthy eating for kids, you can check detailed instructions on YouTube.
How to introduce Healthy Eating for Kids?
A healthy mind needs healthy eating. To ensure healthy eating for your kids you must make you’re your child does the following:
- Eat healthy foods
- Avoid junk food
- Drink plenty of water
- Never skip breakfast
- Eat with family and not alone
- Read labels of food to know what they are eating
If you want your children’s mental health to be perfect and they succeed in life then you have the great responsibility of taking good care of his physical as well as emotional well-being. A child’s mental health must be well-built during his early years of growth, to help him develop into a strong resilient being. Strong and healthy minds lead to a strong and happy life.
Some Frequently Asked Questions by the Parents:
Q. What are the symptoms of Mental Issues in Kids?
A. Mood swings, fatigue, loss of appetite, low motivation are some common symptoms of mental issues in kids.
Q. How to know that your child is having a Mental Issue?
A. By observing the changes in their behavior you can understand the mental health of your child.
Q. What can you do to ensure your Child’s Mental Health?
A. Providing your child with a healthy and secure atmosphere ensures his stable mental health.
Q. How can Mental Illness be Treated in Kids?
A. Mental illness in a child can be treated with therapies and medications.
You can also check: Fat Burning Drinks for Weight Loss